The following is a list of nursing calculators. Each calculator, along with examples and formulas, provides a unique way to review nursing math.
Medication Dose Calculators
- PO Dose: Solids
- Doses solid forms of medication (e.g., tablets, caplets, capsules, lozenges).
- PO Dose: Liquids
- Doses liquid medications such as Tylenol®, Kayexalate® and lactulose.
- IV Dose → mL, Dose → mL/hr
- Calculates single dose IM, IV injections and IV rates if no conversions are involved. Example drugs include furosemide, digoxin, and Solu-Medrol®.
- Dose → gtt/min
- Calculate drug infusion rates without an IV pump. Dose/hour (e.g., diltiazem), dose/minute (e.g., nitrogycerin), and dose/kg/minute (e.g., dopamine).
- mcg/min → mL/hr
- Calculates mcg/min rates (e.g., norepinephrine and nitroglycerin infusions).
- mcg/kg/min → mL/hr
- Calculates mcg/kg/min rates (e.g., nitroprusside and dopamine infusions).
IV Rate Calculators
- Time or mL/hr → gtt/min
- No IV pump. Calculate infusion rates when given a volume and length of time.
- Time → mL/hr
- With IV pump. Calculate infusion rates when given a volume and length of time.
IV Time Calculator
- Time ← mL/hr
- Calculates the duration of an infusion when the rate is known (With or without an IV pump).
Calculate Dosage From IV Rate
There are times when the only way to figure out how much medication is being infused is by looking at the information on the IV bag and the rate of the infusion.
- 1 × Dose, dose/hr ← mL/hr
- Calculates dosages of medications infusing such as heparin or insulin drips.
- mcg/min ← mL/hr
- Calculates dosages of medications infusing such as nitroglycerin and norepinephrine.
- mcg/kg/min ← mL/hr
- calculates the dose of medications infusing such as dobutamine and nitroprusside.
- Pediatric Dose Calculator
- Converts an adult dosage into a pediatric using BSA.
- O2 Remaining in E-Cylinder
- Calculates how much O2 is left according to flow rate.
- BSA Calculator
- Calculates BSA according to height and weight.
- Drug Absorption (Pka)
- Determines how well a medication will be absorbed into the body.
- O.R. Fluid Requirements
- Calculates IV rate according to the type of surgery.
- N.P.O. Fluid Replacement
- Calculates fluid replacement for time NPO.
- Allowable Blood Loss
- Calculates how much blood can be lost without needing a transfusion.
- Estimated Blood Volume
- Estimates how much blood is in a person's body.
- Ideal Body Weight (IBW)
- Compares an individuals weight against a statistical norm.
- Adjusted Body Weight (ABW)
- Calculates the ABW in obese persons for more accurate drug dosing.
- ABG Interpreter
- Interprets a respiratory or metabolic cause for pH disorders.
- °F ←→ °C
- Converts between Fahrenheit and Celsius temperatures.
- lb ←→ kg
- Converts weights between pounds and kilograms.
- in ←→ cm
- Converts lengths between inches and centimeters.
- ft & in ←→ cm
- Converts foot, inch and centimeter lengths (e.g., 5'3" = 160 cm).
- Non-Metric ←→ Metric Doses.
- Converts gr, tsp, tbs, oz, cup, min, dr to metric.
- Metric ←→ Metric
- Converts between metric weights and volumes.
- % Solutions → mg/mL
- Converts % solution into mg/mL concentration.
- Epinephrine Solutions ←→ mg/mL
- View chart that converts a ratio into a mg/mL concentrations.